Saturday, July 16, 2011
On Saturday July 16th 2010 at 1358 hours units from the Fallston Volunteer Fire and Ambulance Company (FVFAC) and surrounding companies were dispatched for smoke coming from a dwelling at 602 Powder Mill Rd. in Fallston. Harford County Fire Dispatch advised initial responding units that they were receiving multiple calls from neighbors in the area reporting that no one was at home at the residence. FVFAC Truck 1331 and Tanker 1321 immediately responded, with Truck 1331 arriving at 1405 hours advising they had smoking visible, coming from the chimney and eaves of the house. Upon entry to the single story rancher, crews were met with thick smoke and significant heat. As additional units from Fallston and the Bel Air VFC arrived on scene, crews were able to quickly locate the seat of the fire in a basement storage area. The fire was brought under control in about 20 minutes. Units on scene included those from the Fallston, Bel Air, Joppa-Magnolia, Jarrettsville, and Level Volunteer Fire Companies in Harford County as well as the Kingsville and Long Green Volunteer Fire Companies in Baltimore County. During the course of the fire one fire fighter suffered minor injuries from smoke inhalation, and he was transported to Bayview Medical Center by Medic 485 (Kingsville VFC), where he was treated and released that evening. The fire had been burning for several hours while the home owners were not home, prior to any calls to 911. The Maryland State Fire Marshall has ruled cause of the fire to be accidental in nature, caused by an electrical malfunction; they put the damages at $500,000.